From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Scopes Trial—formally known as The State of Tennessee v. Scopes and informally known as the Scopes Monkey Trial—was a landmark American legal case in 1925 in which high school biology teacher, John Scopes, was accused of violating Tennessee’s Butler Actwhich made it unlawful to teach evolution.
Scopes was found guilty, but the verdict was overturned on a technicality and he was never brought back to trial. The trial drew intense national publicity, as national reporters flocked to the small town of Dayton, to cover the big-name lawyers representing each side. William Jennings Bryan, three time presidential candidate for the Democrats, argued for the prosecution, while Clarence Darrow, the famed defense attorney, spoke for Scopes. The trial saw modernists, who said religion was consistent with evolution, against fundamentalists who said the word of God as revealed in the Bible trumped all human knowledge. The trial was thus both a theological contest, and a trial on the veracity of modern science regarding the creation-evolution controversy. The teaching of evolution expanded, as fundamentalist efforts to use state laws to reverse the trend had failed in the court of public opinion.
I was brought up in a very strict Catholic household which was not good for a person like me as i always asked how things happened instead of why.
My Mother went to great lengths to explain very little to me . ” you must have faith son, god is the answer for everything”
“Yeah ok mum , So how did he achieve light cause the sun the moon and stars were not created for another few days after his famous declaration ?”
“thank god” I didn’t advise her the sun would have had to have been blinked into place 8 minutes before his first public address . Oh wait ! the worlds first two groupies had not arrived on the scene as yet.
- Battling Creationism and Evolutionism (socyberty.com)
- The Intelligence of Populations… at least the U.S. is smarter than Turkey! (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Bleg: Any good material on evolution and the media 1880-1980? (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- Evolve (nottherealthng.wordpress.com)
- The Scopes Strategy: Creationists Try New Tactics to Promote Anti-Evolutionary Teaching in Public Schools – Laurie Lebo – scientificamerican.com (richarddawkins.net)
- Monkey Trial II: Tenn. House Passes Bill Permitting Teachers To Teach The “Controversy” Over Evolution (jonathanturley.org)